The Greenock Golf Club was founded in 1890 and is located in a commanding position high above the town.
In 1924 that busiest of all golf course architects, former Open Champion James Braid was invited to advise on reconstruction. Leased farmlands were duly purchased and an eighteen and a nine hole course were built, being completed in 1927.
The course is moorland with trees defining many of the fairways and it is no exaggeration to say that the views over the Clyde estuary to the Argyll Hills beyond are simply spectacular.
The club has played host to several professional and amateur district championships over the years, while some of the worthiest exponents of the game have graced its fairways: J. H. Taylor, Harry Vardon, Roberto de Vicenzo and Sam Torrance (to name but a few) have all exhibited their skills to the members.
Restrictions: No play Sat until after 3.30pm. Please telephone club in advance to book. Subject to availability. Offer is based 1-4 golfers.
9 hole course rates £10 at all times.
Forsyth Street, PA16 8RE 55.9506215 -4.780339
Members get 20% off total green fees at Greenock Golf Club with Open Fairways. 2 ball saving £12 every time you play!